Sunday, April 15, 2012

Another Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix!!!

Endeavoring once again to create a gluten free pizza my family will not only eat but ask for again, I bought a box of Hodgson Mill Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix.  At about $4.50 for the box, the price was higher than regular pizza crust mix but not too horrible.  Or maybe I'm just getting used to paying more for gluten free products.  Anyway, I warned my family Saturday that it was gluten free pizza experiment night.  They didn't get excited but at least they didn't groan and moan this time.  For that I am grateful.
The ingredients were all items I had on hand and the instructions were easy to follow.  This is what the dough looked like after I mixed it all together. It was a little sticky so I used some rice flour when I patted it down onto my greased pan.  I also used a long cookie sheet instead of two round pizza pans.  That was probably an error on my part. The crust wasn't quite as crispy as we like but I think it was just because I didn't leave it in the oven long enough.  Four or five more minutes next time should do it.
This is what it looked like.  Not bad for gluten free pizza!  The taste and consistency of the crust was really good. I may have found a crust my family will enjoy.  Even my husband gave it a thumbs up!  Yay!

I"ll probably keep checking out different pizza crust mixes along the way but this one is definitely a winner! 

Next I am going to try Hodgson Mill Baking Mix.  I picked up a box along with the pizza crust.  It was under four dollars for the box so that is a plus.  And it already has the xantham gum in it which is great since xantham gum is so darned expensive. 

Just one more thing, about once a week or so I am faced with eating out.  This can be a challenge for Celiacs but I have researched several restaurants in my area and managed to come up with some options.  It's not perfect because there's always the chance of cross contamination.  I don't care how careful a restaurant claims to be there's always that chance.  But here are a couple of suggestions...Qdoba has some great gluten free options one being the Naked Chicken or Steak Burrito.  It's prepared with rice instead of the tortilla. 
Also Subway has some salad options that are good for those of us on gluten free diets.  I usually choose the Chicken and Baby Spinach Salad. 

If anyone has any restaurants they can recommend, let me know. 

Till my next gluten free meal, take care and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment