Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mike's Hard Lemonade, Salsa and Aldi's

I don't drink often...but....there is an occasion or two when I enjoy something alcoholic, which brings me to a huge question.  Is Mike's Hard Lemonade really gluten free?  Their website says their products are gluten free and have been tested thoroughly.  This is great but I can't get past the barley malt beverage label on the bottle.  When I first found out I was a Celiac, there was a huge list of no-nos and barley malt was on the list.  Supposedly the distilling process gets rid of the nasty gluten in the alcohol.  Not sure I totally believe this but I am thinking I will research this a little more before making an absolute yes or no judgement.


The first photo above is of a restaurant/cafe in Springfield Missouri.  I love restaurants that advertise gluten free menu options.  And the food is really good. 
 The second photo is salsa that has gluten free on the label.  And it is also really tasty with a reasonable price which is always good!                                                        
Last but not least, I missed a call on my cellphone today.  It was the supplier of Bremer products for Aldi's.  They are changing the labeling on their rib patties (remember they were the folks that had gluten free on the label right underneath the ingredients list which included wheat starch).  I am fairly certain that the gluten free part will be removed from the packaging.  They are also sending me a refund check for my original purchase. 
Life as a Celiac is interesting and challenging but living gluten free is possible with effort and perseverance.  So eat well and eat gluten free and most importantly of all, God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment